Photo courtesy of Tourism Kamloops
Fun Facts about Kamloops (courtesy of Tourism Kamloops):
- The annual average of sunny skies is 2,047 hours, with an annual rainfall of 217.9 mm.
- Kamloops has a growing season of 166 days.
- The city area covers 311 sq km (Manhanttan is 59.47 sq km with 10 x the population!)
- There are 82 parks in Kamloops, covering a total of 1,350 hectares.
- Kamloops is one of only two places in Canada where the two national railways (CP and CN) intersect in city limits.
- Kamloops is 250 km north of the Washington border; 310 km northeast of Vancouver, and 4,387 km west of Toronto.
- Kamloops comes from the Secwepemc word “T’Kumlups”, referring to the flowing together of the North and South Thompson rivers.
- Europeans arrived in Kamloops around 1811.
- In 1893, Kamloops was incorporated with less than 1,000 people. Today, it has a population of nearly 85,000 and growing.
- Riverside Park used to be owned by James McIntosh, one of the most influential men in Kamloops’ early history. McIntosh was employed by HBC. He helped build some of Kamloops’ first roads, developed hydro-electric power for the town, and acted as magistrate. His property includes 100 acres right on the river, which was sold to the city after his death.
- Kamloops was once home to famous Canadian poet Robert Service who wrote recognizable hits like “The Cremation of SamMcGee”. He used to work at the Commerce Bank, which is now know as the Brownstone Restaraunt.
- In 1888, the first electric light was installed on the corner of 1st and Seymour near City Hall.
- Kamloops is Canada’s Tournament Capital and hosts over 100 tournaments each year consisting of 27,878 participants.
$20 Gift Card – Opening Special
Travelling to Kamloops this winter or spring?
Book any rate at Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel through our website, mobile app, or by phone and stay before April 30, 2015 to receive your choice of a $20 gift card to Esso, Starbucks, or Shark Club Bar & Grill. Simply print the voucher below and redeem upon check-in to make your gift card selection.
Click here for voucher
In addition, receive 200 bonus points just for booking your stay at Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel via the Sandman mobile app before April 30, 2015.
Click here for more information about Sandman’s mobile app.
Book/Stay Dates: now – April 30, 2015
Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel faces both Riverside Park and The Thompson River, is located directly across the street from the Interior Savings Centre, home of the Kamloops Blazers, and provides a relaxed, elegant comfort.
Each of the 202 beautifully appointed guest rooms at this downtown Kamloops hotel, including the 100 suites, provides the perfect setting to unwind. Relax by the indoor swimming pool and hot tub, enjoy a delicious meal at Shark Club Bar & Grill, or exercise in the state-of-the-art fitness room. Modern amenities, such as complimentary Internet access and a business centre, makes travelling for work or leisure easier and elegant.
Voucher restrictions: Offer valid until April 30, 2015. Maximum of one (1) voucher per stay and can only be redeemed upon check-in. Reservations must be made directly through the hotel, the Sandman website, the Sandman mobile app, or through Central Reservations. Third party reservations do not qualify. Mobile app bonus points will be awarded for Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel reservations only. Bonus points will be allocated to the guest’s mobile app account after hotel check-out.