For most normal folk, February festivities include Valentine’s Day, Family Day, and we’d like to say Groundhog Day – but really, let’s be honest, when you live in Canada it’s hard to celebrate an early spring when spring is essentially the same as winter…but with more rain.
In any case, there is one other exceptional day to celebrate this month , and that’s (drumroll please…) The Academy Awards – or The Oscars – (we’re still not sure which title is correct). Possibly the most anticipated award event of the year, this annual exposition of glamour, glitz and a one-too-many inflated Hollywood egos is the perfect event to watch with a bottle of your finest $10 Cabernet Sauvignon. Allowing you to indulge in the fantasy world of fame, fortune and, oh yes, cinematic arts – the merry occasion lets you enjoy that Hollywood fun, while also relishing in the fact that you live a life of blissful normalcy, untainted by flashing lights, paparazzi and that dreaded red carpet interview with Joan Rivers.
That being said, we love our movies just as much as the next person, and wouldn’t have the Oscars done any other way – especially since the master host Billy Crystal is back – bringing with him a night of cute comical gags, in addition to that calm, smooth charisma that certain former hosts have lacked (sorry Anne Hathaway and James Franco).
With the event happening this weekend Sunday Feb. 26 at 7pm eastern/4pm western, we think this is the one time of year that you can add a little luxury to Sunday night dinner, and if you want to go one step further, you can head to a Sandman and take in all the sights and sounds from one of our plush king-sized beds. In fact, if you live in Calgary you can celebrate the Oscars with our special movie night package at Sandman Calgary Airport, where you can stay-in and get cozy while watching a movie with popcorn, 2 chocolate bars and two cans of pop. More info here: http://ht.ly/9fwZg .
Staying home? Well that’s just fine too, and just in time for the annual event, we’ve got a few interesting facts to keep you up to date with your Academy Awards past and present.
- The awards actually have an interesting connection to hotels, with the first ceremony being held at a dinner held in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, and thereafter between several other buildings including the Biltmore Hotel and the Ambassador Hotel’s Coconut Grove.
- The first awards were presented on May 16, 1929, in front of an audience of roughly 270 people. The post award party was held at the Mayfair Hotel and tickets for the affair cost just $5.
- No one – not even The Academy itself – knows why the Oscar is called well…an Oscar. Their official website claims that the name may have come from Academy librarian Margaret Herrick – who once remarked that the statue looked like her uncle Oscar. Yet other people claim that Bette Davis named hers after her band leader (also named Oscar).
- It wasn’t until 1939 that the “Oscar” nickname became the statue’s official moniker.
- Only 3 movies have won 11 awards in all of Oscar history:
- Titanic (1997)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- This year’s “Hugo” and “The Artist” have been nominated for 11 and 10 nominations respectively.
- The Artist is the first Silent film to be nominated for Best Picture since “The Patriot” in 1928.
- This year’s host, Billy Crystal, will entertain the Academy elite for the 9th time… and that being said, 2012 is a great year to watch – no matter if your at home or in one of our sweet suites (see our other ‘Hot Deals’ here:http://www.sandmanhotels.ca/specials-rewards/hot-deals/ ).