Buckle up road warriors: we’ve now entered the full peak of the cold and flu season. Being one of the leading hotel companies in Canada, travelers are our business. But amid the packing, organizing, and transit details, many of us don’t realize the toll travel takes on our bodies. Often times, it’s the person sneezing behind us on the plane who we think of, as we trudge to the pharmacy to stock up on cold and flu medicine. However, falling ill while travelling often happens long before we even know we’re sick. While Sandman Hotel Group doesn’t provide on-site disinfecting of all guests upon arrival, we do offer impeccable room service (we did win an AHLA award in 2009, for excellence in health and safety after all), and at some locations, gym/spa facilities. What are some things that YOU can do to stay healthy when on the road?
- Sounds simple, but wash your hands. Really. Just wash them. It will cut down your risks of respiratory illness.
- Sneeze and cough into the crook of your elbow, not your hands.
- Forgot your toothbrush? That could actually be a good thing. After all, experts recommend to change your toothbrush every three months. Especially if you’ve been sick lately.
- Exercise! Check out the gym facilities at some of our select properties. Or, download some in-room workouts, and stay in the comfort of your room. Point being: move. It will boost your immune system.
- Drink, a lot. And no, not the fun stuff. Water is all you need – tap, bottle, sparkling, still – however way you like it, you need to get more of it in you, especially when on the road. *
Here’s hoping you coast through the cold and flu season with the same health and vigour as going in. And when you next check-in with us, rest easy knowing that our housekeeping teams have gone above and beyond to make every room and suite shine for your stay!
*Content courtesy of Reader’s Digest Canada